Please note that if your CartonCloud account was created prior to 1 July 2019 the below functionality may not be available at this stage. If you would like to discuss further, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Surcharges page provides the ability to create customisable and conditional Surcharges which can then be applied to Transport rates on Rate Cards.
For example, a Surcharge can be created which is only applied on the condition that the required delivery date is a Saturday or Sunday.
- To access the Surcharges page navigate to More in the main menu, followed by Surcharges in the drop-down menu.
From here you will be able to view and edit already created Surcharges by selecting them.
Adding a new Surcharge
- To add a new Surcharge, begin by selecting +Add Surcharge.
- Give the Surcharge a name which allows you to identify it easily.
- Set the fee category.
The Fee Category will allow you to apply the Surcharge only to rates with a matching fee category within the transport rate on the Rate Card. Setting an appropriate fee category is also useful as it will populate the description of that charge in the customer's invoice summary.
- Next, set the condition on when the surcharge should be applied.
By default, the condition field is set to 'Always'. If you would like set the conditions of when a Surcharge should be applied then select the + button to add a Condition.
There are many options for these conditions such as:
- Keywords appearing in the special instructions.
- Deliveries taking place on particular days of the week.
- Consignments using particular service types.
Additionally, conditions can be used in conjunction with consignment custom fields, allowing for even more possible use cases.
- Once you have chosen the conditions for when a Surcharge should be applied, choose the Surcharge's percentage.
- Then, select if you wish for fuel levy to be applied on top of that surcharge (the fuel levy rate will be taken from the transport rate that the surcharge is being applied to).
- Finally, make sure you select to make the Surcharge Active at the top right of the page otherwise you will not be able to apply it to Transport Rates.
Applying the Surcharge to a Transport Rate on a Rate Card
- To apply the Surcharge begin by navigating to Rate Cards by selecting More in the main menu, followed by Rate Cards in the drop-down menu.
- Select the Rate Card which contains the transport rate you wish to apply the surcharge to.
- Navigate to the Transport Rates tab.
- Select the Transport Rate you wish to apply the surcharge to.
- Once viewing the Transport rate, select the 3 verticle dots as shown in the screenshot below, then enable Surcharges.
- Now, select the Fee Category you would like the Surcharge to apply to within the Transport Rate you are viewing, and finally, the particular surcharge to apply (which was created in the last part of this article).
Please note that multiple surcharges can be applied to multiple fee categories at the same time.
- Lastly, scroll to the bottom of the page and select Save.
In the example provided we are charging a Weekend Surcharge on all fee categories within this Transport Rate, which is set up for Hourly Hire rates.
Now whenever the rate is applied to a consignment and the Surcharges conditions are met the Surcharge will be applied.
Example of a Surcharge applied to a Rate
In the example below an hourly hire consignment was booked charging for 4 hours of Semi hire at a rate of $125.00 on a Saturday. As the condition of it being weekend delivery was met the system has applied the surcharge of 100% on top of the hourly hire rate.
An extra hour of demurrage time was also charged on the day, but as the Surcharge is not applied to this ad hoc rate it does not affect it.
Applying a Surcharge to the Minimum Charge
If you want to apply a Surcharge to a Minimum charge then you will need to ensure you have selected the fee category (minimum charge description) of the minimum charge for it to apply.
As shown below the fee category must either be set to "All" or otherwise match the Minimum Charge Description provided as shown below.
Example of a Surcharge applied to a Minimum Charge
In the example below an hourly hire consignment was booked charging for 1 hour of Semi hire at a rate of $125.00 on a Saturday. As a minimum charge of $200 was set up to be applied based on the rate shown above the system instead applied the minimum charge. As the condition of a weekend delivery was met the system has applied the surcharge of 100% on top of the minimum charge.
An extra hour of demurrage time was also charged on the day, but as the Surcharge is not applied to this ad hoc rate as ad hoc rates are not affected by surcharges.